School of Communication + Journalism (SCJ) Scholarships
Available for 2017-2018 Academic Year
These are scholarships available for undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Journalism + Media through the SCJ. Details on submitting applications are below. Please note application deadline and plan accordingly.
How to Apply for Scholarships
• Go to https://fiu.academicworks.com.
• Sign in with your MyAccounts username and password.
• Complete the general application.
• Select the Opportunities tab and select Ours. Apply to all appropriate opportunities.
• In addition, AcademicWorks will search our database of awards and recommend scholarships in which the students may be eligible. Some students will be automatically entered into the applicant pool; others may need to answer additional questions first.
• Tip: A simple way to find all SCJ scholarships is to type “Journalism” in the search bar on the FIU AcademicWorks website.
APPLICATION PERIOD begins November 2016 and ends February 2017.
Applications will be reviewed and selection made by the SCJ Scholarship Committee in accordance with specific scholarship requirements at the end of the application period. In addition to the individual scholarship stipulations, students receiving a scholarship must attend SCJ’s annual student celebration and awards ceremony in March 2017 (exact date to be announced).
Panorama Travel Scholarship Endowment
(2) Student Scholarship Awards of $500.00 each for students in any CARTA department
The Panorama Travel Scholarship Endowment was established in 2016 by Panorama Travel to support study abroad programs in the College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts.
- Student must have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher at the time of selection.
- Recipients can be in any CARTA major, at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Funds are to be used to participate in a CARTA study abroad program.
- Student must have a demonstrated record of community service.
- Interested students must submit a one-page letter explaining the importance of foreign travel to their academic and professional career trajectories. This should be accompanied by at least one letter of recommendation from a professor who can attest to student’s academic potential.
- Applications are due via the online portal at fiu.academicworks.com March 30, 2017. Scholarship awardees will be announced April 30, 2017. Funds will be dispersed in July 2017 for travel to be undertaken between May 1, 2017 and April 30, 2018.
Undergraduate and Graduate
- Radio Television Digital News Association Journalism Scholarships
- Gannett Foundation & National Association for Hispanic Journalists Scholarship (NAHJ members only)
- Janet Chusmir Memorial Scholarship
- SCJ Dean’s Inter Scholar Ignite Fund
- Senator Gwen Margolis Scholarship
- Abel Mestre Scholarship
- Actualidad Radio Broadcast Journalism Scholarship
- CBS 4/WFOR-TV Scholarship
- Dr. David A. Kopenhaver Scholarship
- John Wolin SCJ Scholarship
- The South Florida Black Journalists Association (SFBJA) Scholarship