The School of Communication and Journalism is proud to provide our students with access to the Media Innovation Incubation Lab. This is a space where students, professionals, and faculty can gather to build their skills, develop their professional toolset, and brainstorm the future of communication and media.
The MIIL is a collaborative setting where we hope students will become inspired, gain access to the latest in cutting edge equipment, and work together toward turning their ideas into practical and innovative realities.
Current projects underway at the MIIL:
- Research related to audience analysis of long-form multimedia journalism funded by the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute at University of Missouri
- Digital curation in collaboration with the FIU GIS Department, FIU Digital Scholars Lab, FIU Digital Collections Center, FIU Sea Level Solutions Center, and eyesontherise.org
- Coursework and public presentations of digital content
- WebGIS for Journalists course taught in conjunction with the FIU GIS Department
- Educational sessions with MAST@FIU BBC high school students
- Faculty training seminars on using Atlas.ti and other software
- Mentoring of the Startup Weekend Miami challenge
- Social media ground zero for Hearst Distinguished Lecture Series events, many hosted at MediaShift.org
To learn more about the MIIL, and explore how its resources can be made available to you, contact Prof. Susan Jacobson at firstname.lastname@example.org