Janet Chusmir Memorial Scholarship
An endowment scholarship fund was established in 1991 in memory of Janet Chusmir, who was a former executive editor of the Miami Herald. She was the paper’s first female editor and guided the newspaper to two Pulitzer Prizes.
There are several $2,500 awards available to community college transfer students and FIU undergraduate and graduate students.
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- an undergraduate or graduate student pursuing any major in the SCJ during the award period.
- Must be enrolled full time (12 credits-undergraduate and 9 credits graduate) during the award period (fall and spring semesters).
- a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- submit a 2-page typewritten (double-spaced) essay about your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future.
- submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member (SCJ faculty preferred).